Wednesday 26 March 2008

Unbearable Excitement

I become far too excited on the run up to release day. Every couple of months I turn into a kid at Christmas. I’m fully aware of just how ridiculous and obsessive I can be; only recently I was getting worked up about Super Smash Bros Brawl, and it got a little out of hand.

I ordered my US copy (just to make it clear, I live in the UK) from Play Asia, and paid for the basic 5-10 day delivery option (to be sent on US official release date) since at the time I didn’t know how long it would take for my pre-ordered freeloader from Codejunkies to arrive. As the release date neared, I began to panic about my freeloader. The Codejunkies website was rather vague on its stock placement, when it will be shipped and so forth. Finally the release date arrived and my copy of Smash Bros was posted, I now had 5-10 days to get my grubby mitts on a Freeloader.

I became a man possessed. I tried to cancel my Codejunkies order and then searched elsewhere, finally finding a website that guaranteed next day delivery. I bought it. Hours later I received an e-mail from Codejunkies to say my freeloader had been paid for and shipped, even though I had requested a cancellation and sent a rather angry e-mail taking issue with their ‘customer service‘. It was ok, I’d sell one on e-bay (a phrase spoken often, but never carried out). Now all I could do was wait for Smash Bros.

The positive online reviews and feedback were unbearable. Everyone but me seemed to be lapping up the Nintendo cat nip, I was distraught, a shadow of my former self. I kicked myself on the hour every hour for not paying for the Fed Ex option, it was only a few quid more! Why o’why didn’t I just stump up the extra pennies? What a fool I felt. The days came and went and soon the fifth day passed. ‘Any day now’, I kept telling myself. I had set the delivery address to my workplace as someone was always there. If out of the office, I was pestering my manager and colleagues with texts and phone calls, first around the 9am post, and then again at second post around 2pm. Nothing. Were they toying with me and my pathetic obsession? Were they going to turn up after work with a smile and a cheer? ‘Here you go Ben, just winding you up, take another few days off work and enjoy!’. No, they didn’t even care for my crippling plight.

The ninth day arrived. Still nothing. That was it, I couldn’t wait anymore. So I logged onto e-bay and found a London based seller who promised next day delivery. And then I did it. I crossed the line from obsessive gamer to impatient mentalist! But I had my reasons, the day after next was the beginning of the bank holiday weekend, I HAD to have it by then, what would I do without it? Play another game? I think not.

Next day, first post, a package! Alas, it was not for me (I was angry at my girlfriend because it was for her). I spent the next few hours shivering at my desk, fretting and feeling angry. My Facebook status read: ‘Ben is really quite angry with the Royal Mail’. Second post loomed and I hung around reception like a lost puppy, pacing and peering around on tippy toes. I waited a while before retreating back to my office. I began to think about other ‘new’ games I had to play. But nothing could cheer me up, I had hyped this game up way too much. My manager then opened my door and handed me a bundle of packages, ‘I think you’ve been expecting these?’.
Two copies of Smash Bros Brawl. I felt silly but oh so happy. I could sell one to a friend, we’d be happy together in our Nintendo induced ecstasy.

I spent pretty much the whole weekend playing it, and it was worth it, but looking back I feel a bit embarrassed by how worked up I got. Who’s fault is it? The media for all its hyping? Or the marketing company? Whoever’s at fault, they’ve done a good job of taking my money, and I’m in no doubt that it’ll happen again soon. I’m already vexed about losing my Mario Kart Wii pre-order with ShopTo.net and am having to come to terms with the fact that I’ll be buying it on release day, in a shop!? And then there’s GTA4, I’ve actually got about 4 separate pre-orders to cover myself on this one

Is anyone else out there as obsessed as me? Or should I fret about more important things? My biggest worry? I’ll be honest, (and this is a regular thought) I’m scared of dying before a big release….
On that sad admission I’ll leave this post and actually play some games rather than work myself up over ones that haven’t even been released.

Facebook status: Ben is really quite happy with the Royal Mail.

No comments: